From iPhoneLoyals, we want to give you information on how to speed up a video on iPhone. Before consulting how to do it on YouTube read our post in which we show you different ways to edit the speed of videos. You can use applications that you have to download as iMovie or do it directly from the camera section of your cell phone (iPhone).
Before we get to the heart of the tutorial, let's illustrate how to speed up a video on iPhone, it is my duty to provide you with some preliminary information about it.
Let's start with a fixed point: speeding up a video is an operation that can be performed in several ways. You can record a movie directly at high speed, using Time-lapse, or you can increase the playback speed of a video at a later time, using the tools for video editing or, again, acting on settings of the player from which the file is "fed".
In the first case, if you've never heard of it, Time-lapse is a cinematic technique, also integrated in the iPhone Camera app, in which the capture speed of each frame is much slower than the playback speed. The result is that the recorded movie time seems to run faster than normal.
As for the use of video editing application, in this case the playback speed of the movie is modified by acting directly on the file structure, so the changes are permanent. On the other hand, when you speed up a movie with a video player, you only put your hand on the settings of the latter and, therefore, the original file will remain untouched.
How to speed up video on iPhone for free
Having made the necessary clarifications above, let's go to the heart of the matter and discover, therefore, how to speed up videos on iPhone. Below you will find a list of what I consider to be the best useful solutions for this purpose. All of them are free.
How to change the speed of a video on iPhone with CAMERA.
If you are interested in understanding how to speed up a video to record with your iPhone using Time-lapse, I inform you that you can use the specific functionality built into the iOS Camera app, the default for taking pictures and recording videos, without having to resort to the use of third-party solutions.
To use it, therefore, start the app, Camera on your device, by tapping the icon (the one with the camera) that you find on the home screen, then enable the Time-lapse function, sliding from right to left at the bottom of the screen, to identify the wording Time-lapse in the menu (whose color, in doing so, will change from white to yellow).
After completing the above steps, decide whether to use the rear or front camera by pressing the camera button and double arrow located at the bottom right. You can also adjust the zoom level by pressing the 1x / 2x button, always present at the bottom.
Then, start recording your time lapse video by tapping on the red circular button located at the bottom of the screen. When you wish, you can stop recording by pressing the red circular button again.
Once the recording is complete, the video will be automatically saved in the iOS Photo app and you can access it from the latter by selecting the icon (the one with the white background and the multicolored flower) located on the home screen. In addition to this, as I just indicated, you can access the video of your interest by tapping on its thumbnail at the bottom left of the Camera app screen.
How to edit the speed of a video on iPhone with iMovie
You want to speed up a video on iPhone by permanently editing the file? In this case, I advise you to turn to iMovie. It is a video editing application developed directly by Apple, which allows you to create and edit videos for free in a simple way but guaranteeing semi-professional quality results.
To download iMovie on your iPhone, visit the appropriate section of the App Store, then press the Get button, then on Install and authorize the download using Face ID, tap ID or Apple ID password. Then start the application by tapping the Open button appeared on the screen or by selecting the relative icon just added to the home screen.
Now that you see the main iMovie screen, tap the Create Project item and select the Video option from the menu that opens. Then tap the Create Movie option located at the bottom and, to import the video and speed it up in the iMovie timeline, first press the symbol (+) and then in the Video section, then tap the movie of your interest and, in the box that opens, tap the symbol (+).
After completing the above steps, select the video you just added to the timeline, tap the speedometer at the bottom and increase the playback speed by moving the cursor on the appropriate bar that appears at the bottom of the screen on the right.
If instead of speeding up the whole video you want to intervene only on a certain part of it, touch the speedometer icon, define the starting point and the end point of the sequence to be modified (by moving the relative yellow cursors that you will always find on the timeline) and proceed in the same way as indicated above.
To see the final result, click on the Play button located immediately below the player. If you are satisfied, export the edited video by clicking on the final element at the top left, selecting the share icon (the one with the square and the arrow) at the bottom, choosing the Save video option in the menu that opens and defining the export size.
How to edit the speed of a video on iPhone with VLC
If what you want to do is to change the playback speed of a given movie in real time, without having to make permanent changes to the original file, you can succeed in your attempt by resorting to the use of VLC.
As you can easily understand, it is the mobile counterpart of a well-known free and open source video player for Windows, MacOS and Linux and, like the latter, it allows you to play any video (and audio) file format, with the possibility of applying various filters in real time.
In order to download VLC on your device, first connect to the appropriate section of the App Store, presses the Get button, so on that Install and authorizes the download using Face ID, Touch ID or Apple ID password.
After that, access the Files app or use any other File Manager the video of your interest (or open the app where it is archived), select it, tap share icon (the one with the square and the arrow) and choose VLC Icon from the menu that opens, to import it into the app.
After completing the above steps, the movie will start playing automatically. To change its speed, therefore, tap the icon with the see icon at the bottom right and, in the menu that opens, move the cursor you find in correspondence with the wording Playback speed To the right.
If you want to avoid having to repeat the procedure just described every time you open a video, you can also act on the default playback speed of the application by tapping the item settings that you find at the bottom right of the main screen of VLC, selecting the wording Default playback speed and setting the value of your interest in the menu that opens.
Other applications to speed up videos on iPhone
None of the solutions to speed up a video on iPhone that I have already suggested in the previous lines has not particularly convinced you and, therefore, you want me to recommend some other solution? Then take a look at the following list of alternative applications. I am sure that, in the end, you will eventually be able to find a solution that satisfies you.
- Skyflow - useful application for recording time-lapse videos, which includes numerous functions to optimize shooting. It should also be noted that it allows you to change the playback speed of movies even after the recording is complete. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (starting from € 1.09) to remove advertising and unlock additional features.
- Hyperlapse by Instagram - application developed by Instagram that allows you to create time-lapse videos offering a good degree of stability. It also allows you to quickly share the videos made, both on Instagram and Facebook. It is completely free.
- Video Store - video editor that includes numerous functions, such as the ability to increase or decrease the speed of movies, but also apply cuts, add filters, effects and transitions, etc. It is free, but through in-app purchases (at the base cost of €1.09) you can unlock additional features and you can remove the watermark applied to videos.
- VideoShow - another useful application for editing videos, which also allows you to speed them up. It features a user-friendly interface that makes it very easy to use. Basically it is free, but to remove the watermark and add all the advanced features you need to make in-app purchases (with costs starting from 1.09 euro).
- Infuse - video player capable of "digesting" all formats without the need to perform conversion operations and that, among the various options relating to playback, also integrates a useful function to increase the speed of movies. Note that it supports streaming playback and allows you to create a media library by automatically downloading information and covers. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (with prices starting at 99 cents / month) to receive all updates, unlock additional features and increase the number of supported formats (including AC3 audio). Alternatively, the Pro variant is available, which provides a one-time payment (equivalent to €29.99) but does not support upgrades.
- PlayerXtreme Media Player - media player for iOS that supports the most popular video formats. It has a useful hardware acceleration system to play even high-quality videos without slowdowns. Of course, it also allows you to increase the playback speed of your movies. It is free, but offers in-app purchases (at the base cost of €2.99) to unlock all features.